top of page

Coronavirus 19 FAQ

GEOC leadership and members have put together information for graduate employees on campus so that they can continue to do their jobs and stay safe. Please contact us at if you have any questions or think we should include anything else.

Employee FAQ

Sick Time / Time Off

We have been assured by WSU Administration that Graduate Teaching Assistants and Graduate Student Assistants will not lose pay because of COVID-19 related absences. We encourage everyone to participate in social distancing as much as possible. You can take as much sick time as you need if you’re still being asked to report to campus. Please contact us if you are still being required to report to work in person at

SET Scores

For anyone whose class was not already online, SET scores are optional. If you receive your SET scores and don’t like them, you can have them voided. Administration is working to ensure this is complete, so that even (e.g.) your chair can’t see them.

F-1 Status During C19

OISS confirms visa status will not be affected by moving classes online. The OISS office is closed, but can be reached via email at

Use this guide to learn about how to protect your F-1 status during Covid 19.

Parking Passes

If you paid for parking this semester, you can get a refund on parking passes (reason “other”).

Online Teaching Resources

WSU’s Office of Teaching and Learning


Pandemic Pedagogy Facebook Group


Dorothy’s Quick Start Guide: for each week/lesson include readings, 1 activity where they try something out or engage with the material, 1 discussion where they are prompted to talk about the lesson, and 1 learning aide which should provide an additional way to review material beyond reading assignments (slide deck with notes, a series of short videos or audio clips). If you do videos, keep them short (under 10 mins, preferably under 5 mins). Asynchronous learning provides the best opportunity of student success. Hold office hours via video call if you are able to. You can set one week up at a time instead of trying to get all of it set up now, which also allows you to adjust your approach as you go.


The 20 hour per week workload limit for GTAs and GSAs still applies. Track your work and any issues you encounter moving online using this form. If you find that you are working over the limit, please contact the grievances officer at

Spring Summer Term

Offers of spring/summer appointments should go out as normal. Spring term courses will be online; Summer has not yet been decided. In either case, it is hard to predict what enrollment will be like or how that will affect appointments.

Health Care FAQ

Primary Care Physician 

If you have a primary care physician you should call their office first. If you don’t have a primary care physician (PCP) you should call your health insurance to find a PCP they cover near you. Your primary care physician is your first defense against any non-emergency health problems. 

Campus Health Center

Call - (313) 577-5041

If you live on or near campus the campus health center is beginning to provide testing services. We have been told by administration testing will be free, but it is recommended that you call to make an appointment before going in and talk to them about your symptoms to see if you qualify to be tested. This is also available for individuals who are uninsured.



The campus health clinic takes most WSU insurance plans, but we were made aware by members last semester that they don’t accept Total Health Care. This is an issue we are currently working on, but at this time be cautious so you don’t get an unexpected bill.

County Information

County wide information is available for both Oakland and Wayne County as well. Please visit their websites for more information.

Tele-Health Services

All WSU insurance plans have tele-health services which offer services 24-hour a day, 7-days a week. Many health insurance plans also have the ability to mail prescriptions to you, so if you need medication they will be able to help you get them to your home without going to a pharmacy. 

Mental Health Services

The CAPS office is currently closed but has hotline services available 9:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday and are working on making remote face-to-face appointments available.


Call CAPS - 313-577-3398 or 313-577-9982

Check the CAPS website for contact information and updates. This is also a good time to reach out to your health insurance provider to find an off campus mental health provider, since we know the wait time for CAPS is long and their ability to treat is limited.

Local Health Care

Henry Ford Health System and Beaumont Health System have phone numbers that you can call to find a provider. 


Henry Ford Health System is open 24/7 - (313) 874-5700.


Beaumont Health System is open Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. - (248) 551-7000.

bottom of page